Sainsbury’s has reported its financial results for H1 2018 for the period ended 22nd September, 2018
- The Group sales increased 3.3% to GBP15.13 billion
- The retail sales increased 3.2% to GBP14.86 billion, including Argos contribution
- Groceries sales (excluding pharmacy) increased 1.2%
- Clothing sales decreased 1% driven by the changes in promotional phasing
- General Merchandising sales increased 1.5%
- Like for like sales increased 3%.
- Supermarket sales declined 0.5%, convenience sales increased 4.3% and online groceries sales increased 6.9%.
- Operating profit increased 23% to GBP335 million
- The retailer has opened 60 Argos stores in Sainsbury’s supermarkets bringing the total count to 251 as on 22 September, 2018
The retailer plans to open three new supermarkets and up to 15 new convenience stores; and 90 Argos stores in supermarkets (including 50 relocations) resulting in around 280 Argos stores in supermarkets.
As of 22 September, 2018, the retailer operates 1423 Sainsbury’s stores, 867 Argos stores and 16 Habitat stores.